Monday, December 5, 2011

December 5

December 5

“Wonderful Christmas News,” by Becky Proctor

Hospitals are open 365 days a year. People don’t choose when they get sick or injured. And they need care regardless of the date on the calendar. As an ICU nurse, I was always disappointed when I had to work on Christmas Day rather than be with my family.

One Christmas, I went in to work and was taking care of a woman with a severe head injury, who had been in the ICU in a coma for several weeks. Her husband was at home with their 5 children, trying to make Christmas as normal as possible without mom. At one point in the day, I went into the room and though she had had her eyes open before, now she was focusing on me. I went over to her side and said “hi!” After being unresponsive for weeks, it took my breath away. I was thrilled to be able to give her family the wonderful news on such a special day.

Though I was not able to spend the day with my family, I felt that I was where I needed to be. I felt the spirit of Christmas in the miracle that I experienced that day.

Dear God, help us to be mindful that you are present in all times and spaces in our lives. Open our eyes to those moments that take our breath away, and we know that you are among us. Amen.