Tuesday, December 20, 2011

December 20

December 20

“A Happy Holiday Menu,” by Shanda Johnson

Christmastime has always been a season of sharing in my family. When I was young we had a large family that would gather and exchange gifts and share food and enjoy catching up on recent events that had occurred in each of our lives.

There were grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, seven cousins, mom, dad and me. My mother enjoyed having Christmas dinner at our house. So for a week in advance we cleaned and decorated and soon the smell of Christmas took over our senses. How great it would be to go back home for the holidays and see and share with everyone in my early family. When my daddy passed in March I lost the last link to what used to be. All the cousins gathered for the funeral. We talked about what used to be before we married, left home and lost contact.

I have come to realize that God gives us opportunities to become part of and participate in the family of Christ which is so much bigger and better than my family unit to which I want to go back. The rewards of knowing Jesus and being part of his family are every day in every way there for the taking. I look forward to each gathering with God’s people.

The following is from a Christmas card I received many years ago and choose to read annually:

A HAPPY HOLIDAY MENU

HAPPY HOLIDAY FARE

Served with freshly made Best Wishes

Appetizer of Happiness

Hearts of Gladness*Thick Slices of Joy

Generous Portions of Cheer*Warm Friendships

Casserole of Kindness*Soufflé of Laughter

Good Times to Relish*Assorted Pleasures

Well-seasoned Delights*Sparkling Merriment

Combination Good Health and Good Fortune

Sweet Memories

Thank You, God, for sending Jesus to show us the way.