Wednesday, December 21, 2011

December 21

December 21

“Sitting at His Feet,” by Mallory Metheny

“Be still and know that I am God.” -Psalm 46:10

Growing up, one of my favorite moments of Christmas morning was when my brother, sister and I would sit at the top of the stairs together in wild anticipation until our parents would let us sprint down the steps to witness Santa’s deliveries (last year, however, being the only child at home, I flipped tradition and made my parents sit at the top of the stairs with the dogs. I think they were a little less amused than I was).

There’s so much anticipation during the Christmas season, from the gift-purchasing and giving to cleaning the entire house for visiting relatives. But through all the busyness, God tells us to be still. To take a break from the hand-made card marathon. To not have a panic attack over that one “imperfect” gift. Be still.

We’re told in Mark 12 that the most important thing we can do is to love the Lord with all we have. It is clear that God wants to be the number one priority. Before serving others, He wants us to sit at His feet in anticipation and wonder, especially during a holiday that really is all about Him.

Go about your Christmas preparations. Make that fondue with the secret ingredient and continue to clean where you see fit (yes, Mom and Dad, I’ll still help you). But no matter what age we are or what lists we have to accomplish, the most significant and honorable thing we can do is sit at God’s feet this Christmas, knowing that His life is the coolest and best thing that could ever happen to us.

Dear Lord, as we anticipate the season, help us to anticipate you even more. May we be still and recognize that you are worthy of all our attention. Amen.