Thursday, December 1, 2011

December 1

December 1

“Christ is the Light of the World”

By Shirley Martin

Christ’s light means the world to me:

Joy to the world! The Lord is come;

Let earth receive her King;

Let every heart prepare Him room,

And heaven and nature sing.

This song was written in 1719 and later some parts and phrases were used in Handel’s, The Messiah, first performed in 1742. The song emphasizes the reverent joy that Christ’s birth brought to mankind. The entire Advent season is filled with rejoicing as we renew God’s great gift, His son Jesus Christ.

Christmas is a special time for me and my family. Every year we have a big family Christmas dinner and exchange grab bag gifts. We get pretty excited about the gifts but we share that excitement by talking and praying about God’s precious gift. Imagine being a shepherd in a quiet field and suddenly one night the sky is lit with angels and singing filled the air. An angel announced that a very precious gift had just come for them - baby Jesus. They left their sheep and went to Bethlehem to find Him. God sent Jesus to earth for the shepherds, for you, for me, and for everyone else. My family shares in the excitement about God’s precious gift every year. My world with God is constant in everything I do and I can describe God’s world to me in the last verse of the Christmas song Joy To The World.

He rules the world with truth and grace,

And makes the nations prove;

The glories of His righteousness,

And wonders of His love.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for Your continued grace. Help me fulfill Your plan for my life and give me a heart to hear Your voice.