Sunday, December 18, 2011

December 18, 4th Sunday of Advent

December 18, 4th Sunday of Advent

“Turn Busy Time Around,” by David Peter

Deadlines. Appointments. School assemblies and programs. Pictures. Travelling. Grocery shopping. Christmas cards. Gift giving. Lines.

The holiday season is fast approaching. It can seem like there isn’t “ENOUGH” time to get everything done. We run from place to place, trying to fit everything into a day. It’s so easy to get tired trying to do everything. It’s so easy to become disagreeable when we don’t get everything done.

But this is the time to stop, to pause and just slow down. This season is the ultimate gift of God to man.

I try to remember that no matter how busy or over-scheduled I may be, I need to take time and give thanks. I’ve been given the gift of time, and I need to be thankful for that gift. I will take time to stop and listen. I will take time to pray, and grow in my faith. I take time to spend time with my family and friends. Sometimes the greatest gift can be a hand-written card, a telephone call, or a visit with friends and family. Time is priceless.

Dear God, Help me to remember to take time to give thanks for Christ, your gift to us. Remind me that I’m never too busy. Help me stop, pause and give thanks. Amen.

Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;
Abide in Him always, and feed on His Word.

United Methodist Hymnal #395, William D. Longstaff, 1882 “Take Time to be Holy”