Saturday, December 17, 2011

December 17

December 17

“Through the Eyes of a Child,” by Paula Metheny

Though I’m ashamed to admit it, my family used to consider me to be a bit of a Grinch at Christmas time. Many of the holiday festivities with friends and family happened at our house, and though I loved the idea of having everyone over, making it happen the way I wanted was a whole other thing. I wasn’t satisfied until the house was spotless, the decorating finished, and the Tupperware containers were filled with homemade goodies, nothing store-bought, for heaven’s sake! Put simply, I wanted perfection. And if my family was not going to help, they better look out! I was miserable; they were miserable. Honestly, I was glad when Christmas was over. It’s hard to feel so much stress and keep smiling for the relatives.

Enter grandchildren. First Aiden, then Owen was born earlier this year. What joy they bring! Now, the Christmas preparations I make are with them in mind, instead of who I might impress this year with my decorating talents. Believe me, they don’t care about the color of bows I make, or if the decorations coordinate with the new wall paint color. They care most about strings of sparkling lights, bright packages under the tree, wrinkly wrapping paper, and can they touch Grammy’s nativity set (of course!). Having the boys around has taught me that the joy of Christmas, and life, is found by seeing through the eyes of a child.

Charles Dickens said, “It’s good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when it’s mighty founder was a child himself.”

Our Heavenly Father, thank you so much for sending your son Jesus Christ, and for all the little children in our lives. May we be able to see like they do, the simple things that are most important to you. Amen.