Sunday, December 25, 2011

December 25, Christmas Day

December 25, Christmas Day

“A Musical Touch,” by Rev. D. Scott Johnson

Scripture: “At once the angel was joined by huge angelic choir singing God’s praises: ‘Glory to God in the heavenly heights, Peace to all men and women on earth who please Him.’” Luke 2:13-14 (the Message)

Our family loves Christmas music. There is something about it that lifts the spirit and actually is so much better than a lot of the music we listen to the rest of the year. I have wondered why that is the case. What is it about Christmas music that moves the soul unlike any other? Is it the season and our spirits are ready to be lifted? Is it the expectation and excitement that fills the air? Is it the familiarity of the tune and words?

I remember distinctly the first time I heard certain pieces that still give me pause when I hear them each Christmas season: Mannheim Steamroller’s rendition of “The Little Drummer Boy”, Charlotte Church singing “Ave Maria”, Tran Siberian Orchestra “Christmas/Sarajevo 12/24 (instrumental)”, Amy Grant “Breath of Heaven”, and Sandy Patty “Bethlehem Morning”. These are just a few of my Christmas favorites which do not even include my favorite Christmas carols. Each time I hear these songs there is a stirring of praise in my heart.

But, I know that my list pales in comparison to what the shepherds heard on those fields on a night so long ago. What was it like to hear the heavenly chorus singing wonderful words of glory and peace? Do you think they will ever get out of their minds, their spirits, or their souls the stirring impromptu concert for their benefit? It certainly was a story that they would tell and retell throughout their lives.

Maybe God realized that the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem needed that musical touch because mere words would not do. So God added music and stirred the souls of every age. And, I would guess, that whatever your favorite music is on this Christmas morning, God will speak to you, through it, just as God spoke long ago.

Prayer: O God who stirs the heart and lifts the world with the message of grace and peace, come to us anew once again this day through our music and celebration. Amen.